Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 23:07:56 -0600 (CST)
From:      George Vagner <kf7nn@mutsgo.dyn.ml.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   console mouse and X

I recently installed just the bin files on a TI 4000E with 8 meg ram
and have a working system, i jumped into sysinstall and installed the
X11 package along with some other packages and ports on a 200M disk
over FTP. Most things seem to work correctly although i have some questions
to ask.

I enabled the console mouse in rc.conf and have a console mouse but if i run
X with it enabled I get "mouse not found" upon server start.

can I have both?

I also installed Netscape-communicator4 on this laptop which
took alot of juggling to find enough disk space to install it.

When i run netscape on it it seems to run VERY slow and the disk drive led
lights up on every mouse movement and if I click something it takes a long
time for the drive to stop running, like it is swapping heavily.

the program top shows cpu ~30% usage and the swap partition is 26M and 60% is
used.

CPU is 486 DX 50 with cirrus gc6420 chip.

is this normal?

now can i speed it up so netscape can be used, its unuseable now (too slow).

kf7nn@airmail.net