Date:      Fri, 31 May 2002 22:31:19 +0200
From:      Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.6-RELEASE delayed

bmah@freebsd.org (Bruce A. Mah) writes:

> We'll be doing another release candidate (4.6-RC4...for various
> reasons

I appreciate this.

> there won't be a 4.6-RC3) on Monday, in which we hope to see the major
> remaining issues addressed.  We encourage you to see the testing page
> for this release at:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.6R/qa.html

It says ata(4) tags problems were related to motherboard-based ATA
channels. I see that S=F8ren's patch to fix the panic on boot that I
observed has now been merged into 4-STABLE, however, it seems as though
the "timeout and fall-back to PIO" issue is still unfixed in 4-STABLE.

My main board, a Gigabyte 7ZX-R rev. 1.0, offers four ATA channels. Two
are driven by the south bridge, VIA KT133 (VT82C686 stuff), the other
two are driven by a Promise PDC-20265R (in UDMA/100 mode). IIRC, this
Promise chip is in the "doesn't to tags, but freezes" blacklist. VIA
chips are not blacklisted, and AFAICS, tagged queueing not working on my
system is a regression over 4.5-RELEASE which had working tagged
queueing.

S=F8ren said he was able to reproduce the timeout problem with tags, and
we should expect a fix "real soon now". This is the only list I follow,
but I haven't yet seen anything ata-related since. What's the release
engineering team's opinion on this ata issue? Will 4.6 be delayed until
the tagged stuff is fixed? Will 4.6 ship with ata tagged stuff disabled
altogether? Or will 4.6 ship with ata as it is today, with the risk that
it breaks some systems 4.5 ata did work on?

--=20
Matthias Andree