Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:45:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      twig les <twigles@yahoo.com>
To:        "Devon H. O'Dell" <dodell@sitetronics.com>, jahmon <jahmon@jahmon.com>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compromised server

No one will be able to even guess how they got in without
knowing what you are running on the box (IIS, MSSql, etc.
[hahah, jk]).  Although this may be belated, there is an
excellent book called "Incident Response: Investigating Computer
Crime" from authors Mandia and Prosise.  Unfortunately I can
almost guaruntee that the advice the book will give you is to
restore from the last known-good backup after re-installing the
OS cleanly.  If you were going to try to go hardcore forensics
on an intrusion you would have to already have a nice set of
utilities, hopefully on CD or floppy, ready to be mounted like:
ps, ls, top, The Coroner's Toolkit, etc (I'm sure I'm missing a
bunch).

Sorry for the doom and gloom (and the lame MS joke) but the book
is truly a fascinating read even if you have nothing to do with
incident response.

=====