Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 2000 21:55:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, manek@ecst.csuchico.edu
Subject:   Re: affordable wireless

>From: "Sameer R. Manek" <manek@ecst.csuchico.edu>
>Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 20:07:38 -0700

>Does anyone have any suggestions on how to have 802.11 wireless for home
>users? Naturally it should be supported by FreeBSD. Configuruation can be
>done on any pc os though.

>My only affordable solution so far is to use the Apple AirPort base station,
>and wavelan pcmcia cards, but I don't know if they can co-exist, and the
>AirPort needs a Macintosh to configure. My idea of affordable for this is
>less then $500, the lucent wavelan solution works out to about $900 startup,
>that's a little out of my budget.

I'm typing this note while I'm at home (no matter where the xterm
process is running, it's being displayed on a laptop at home); the
laptop in question is connected via a Cisco/Aironet card, and the access
point is an Apple Airport.

Weaknesses so far are configuring the Airport (it was configured for me,
by someone who has access to the requisite software) and the lack (from
what I hear) of 129-bit encryption support.

The Aironet cards were US$167 each from pcwonders.com.

Hope that's of some use,
david
--
David Wolfskill      dhw@whistle.com   UNIX System Administrator
Desk: 650/577-7158   TIE: 8/499-7158   Cell: 650/759-0823