Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 13:20:22 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Ken Kyler" <ken@kyler.com>
Subject:   Re: Firewalls for Morons

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999 13:00:29 -0400, Ken Kyler wrote:

>Anyone have a good URL for firewall info?  I just got my FreeBSD (3.1) box
>running and configured as an open firewall.  The local net can't get out
>with it set to simple.  I need a VERY simple description for the Unix
>challenged.

Do you have Gateway set in /etc/rc.conf? You need: gateway_enable="YES"

Can you get to the net from the FreeBSD box?
Can the internal network computer(s) ping the FreeBSD box?
What operation are you trying from the internal network and what is the error?
If you are not running your own DNS do you have the name servers from your ISP listed in
/etc/resolv.conf? Are the computers in the internal network refering to the FreeBSD box for DNS or
referring to your ISPs name servers?