Date:      Tue, 06 Jul 1999 06:22:01 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
Cc:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: alpha kernel build failure (w/patch)

Parag Patel wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jul 1999 00:33:57 CDT, Steve Price wrote:
> >+#ifdef __i386__
> > 	sc->wb_btag = I386_BUS_SPACE_IO;
> >+#endif
> >+#ifdef __alpha__
> >+	sc->wb_btag = ALPHA_BUS_SPACE_IO;
> >+#endif
>
> Just curious, but is there a reason that these lines aren't simply
>
> 	sc->wb_btag = BUS_SPACE_IO;
>
> with this macro being set to the correct machine-specific one in some
> appropriate header file?  I'm sure I'm missing something...
>
> Thanks!

The really annoying thing is that this is handled in the bus configuration
system already.  The driver only has to ask for the handle and tags for the
resource it's activated and can then use that directly for the bus_space
calls.

But, old style drivers don't have access to that as the information is
not available across the compatability shims.

> 	-- Parag Patel

Cheers,
-Peter