Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 22:36:46 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: shell inconsistency - csh should remove

On Monday 18 December 2000 17:10, Matthew Emmerton wrote:
> > Someone wrote:
> > then If  I want to learn shell script programming on FreeBSD, there are
>
> two shell
>
> > languages to learn, two big horrible manuals to read,  this also sucks,
>
> am tired.
>
> > this is obstacle for Linux user switch to FreeBSD, bash is compatible
> > with

Oh just install bash from the ports and make it your default ordinary
user shell and stop complaining !

I had it confirmed to me here by the BSD experts that changing the root
shell from csh to a STATICALLY linked other shell will not break anything.
/bin/sh therefore should be fine, bash you may have to relink to make it
static. If it isn't you may have serious problems at some point...

Even if you log on as root under normal use, you can always just type "bash"
at the prompt !

As far as capabilities go for all practical purposes anything you can do in
"tcsh" you can do in "bash" and vice versa. They are just different.

I am talking about interactive use here.
Shell scripting is a whole other kettle of fish...

Be glad it is FreeBSD, all these choices !

Cliff

p.s. does anyone use "zsh" ...?