Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 1999 20:31:52 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        "Gandalf T. Grey" <gandalf24@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3 Questions for 3.2-RELEASE Setup on Thinkpad 560X

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Gandalf T. Grey wrote:

{...}

Can't help with your video problem, sorry.

>      2. When I set the device speed for my 28.8 Hayes Optima PCMCIA
>         modem to 28800, I connect to my ISP at 9600 and can surf
>         very slowly. When I set the device speed higher, I get a
>         connect message, but all I see is gibberish in the user-PPP
>         term, so I can't log in.  I am using a very generic INIT
>         string, ATE1Q0M0, which may be the problem.
>
>         Does anyone have an INIT string for the Hayes Optima 28.8
>         PCMCIA that allows them to actually connect at 28800, or know
>         of some other reason why I might be having this problem?

Try AT&F

This should do a reset to factory defaults, which on most 28.8k modems
I've used has been satisfactory (haven't used PCMCIA modems though...).

You should be setting the DTE speed (serial port speed) to at least 38400,
and preferably 57600. You can't actually set a port speed of 28800, which
is probably why you're getting 9600 (default). Your modem<->modem
connection speed would have to be set in the init string.

I can't help with your SCSI card problem either, sorry.

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia