Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 18:21:06 -0330
From:      Paul David Fardy <pdfardy@mac.com>
To:        "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: sendmail 8.12.2 MFC'ed

Yeasah Pell:

Helge Oldach(helge.oldach@atosorigin.com)@2002.03.27 09:36:19 +0000:
>> Because they always have been...
>> This BSD thing is about tradition. "Alternative" software is what the
>> word says: It's about re-inventing the wheel. This is the Linux spirit.

I'd use "heritage" rather that tradition.  Some recognition of
heritage is due. After all, BIND *is* the *Berkeley* Internet Name
Daemon and Sendmail was an important part of BSD <= 4.4BSD. But,
while heritage may influence Sendmail's continued existence in
contrib, isn't why it's stayed around--not directly anyway.

On Wednesday, March 27, 2002, at 05:29 AM, Karsten W. Rohrbach wrote:
> wrong, it is called evolution, a natural way of things evolving which
> does not stop just because somebody puts up a sign "this is bsd, we do
> it this way since 1970 and it won't change in the future". this has
> nothing to do with linux at all. it is also not about re-inventing the
> wheel. you seem to mix up the terms "tradition" and "religion" here,
> introducing an implicit amount of folklore, hoping that it will support
> your nonexistant line of argumentation.

I think you're going to far ascribing "religion" to Helge's "tradition".
But I agree that "It's always been done that way." isn't a strong
argument.

> when it comes to tradition, i cannot remember a single freebsd
> distribution which natively supports to be booted from tape.

I don't think every version of BSD did either. And I would bet
good money that *noone* has a tape loading FreeBSD dist. :-)
But the point is well taken: there's got to be more to the
argument than that, ... and there is...

> to come back to your original thought, do you consider having sendmail
> on a firewall a good thing[tm]? sell that to your customers and prove me
> that you do this successfully. this, just as a sidenote.

Actually, many people do use Sendmail on their firewalls. I've even done
some consulting on just such a beast. And I'm not convinced that any other
MTA is inherently safer. Sendmail gets the bulk of the abuse and still
critical in keeping Internet mail going.

> as another sidenote, nobody prevents you from building a package
> yourself on a machine having a ports tree installed.

But, then again, noone prevents you from

	# rm /usr/sbin/sendmail*

either.

Ultimately, it's not about tradition or heritage and it's not about
evolution, either.  The real argument for keeping them runs like this:
Sendmail and BIND work. Sendmail and BIND remain in active development.
And, most importantly, each is actively maintained by FreeBSD committers.

Pulling them out of contrib is not evolution, but revolution. You'll have
to convince freebsd-core that it's better for [who?] to maintain [what?]
than to continue letting Greg Shapiro--who's FreeBSD work may even been
supported by Sendmail, Inc. Greg's work, alone, is enough to keep it in
contrib. Greg ensures that "it ain't broke, so don't fix it."

It seems to me that most people are content, if not happy, with Sendmail.
And I don't think it just those old farts that actually learned enough
to know why "R$-!$+ $@$>Canonify2 $2<@$1.UUCP>" was very useful (and
still be useful somewhere :-).

Helge Oldach(helge.oldach@atosorigin.com)@2002.03.27 09:36:19 +0000:
>> Count this my strong vote against removal of packages that are
>> traditionally part of the base system.

Count this my strong vote for keeping working contributed software just
where it is.

Paul
--
PS Does anyone know where I can find a PCI/UNIBUS adapter? :-)