Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 1996 10:20:09 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Leon Kaplan <kaplan@CSlab.tuwien.ac.at>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   HP Laserjet 5L

Hi!

I followed the steps in the handbook but I just can't seem to
get this working:

My HP 5L is on /dev/lpt0. When I try to "cat /etc/printcap > /dev/lpt0" then
(appart from the missing LF -> CR+LF translation) everything gets
printed _very_ slowly (1/2 page per minute). If I use a simple filter script
as the one below then I have the same problem. Could this be because of
interrupt driven mode? Should I switch to polling? Any experiences?

  #!/bin/sh
  #
  # initialize the printer and cat everything else thru. Finally
  # send a formfeed character \f

  printf "\033k2G" && \
  echo && \

 --- end script ----

 I usually call it from within lpr (via printcap, if=...) or directly
 as "cat myfile | filter > dev/lpt0"

Thx,
Leon Aaron Kaplan.