Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 19:27:47 -0800
From:      "Sean Hamilton" <sh@bel.bc.ca>
To:        <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   burncd raw mode

Greetings,

I have a 2352-byte block mode1 CD image, and wish to burn this with burncd.
I know I can use bin2iso or bchunk to decode it, but I'd rather keep the
block metadata intact from the file itself instead of having the
burner/driver(?) reconstruct it.

I assembled a small stack of coasters by trying a few combinations of -d,
'raw', etc, to no avail. The best I got was from raw, a track which needed
to be read with 2352 byte blocks, so it wasn't being interpreted as
metadata. I presume if I were to dd this entire disc into a file, I would
have a verbatim copy of my original, albeit less fault tolerant.

Can this be done with burncd?

How does the drive/driver know to interpret the remaining 304 bytes as
metadata?

Is it possible to extract the full 2352 byte blocks from a track which is
advertised as only 2048, ie a typical data track? There are a few Windows
apps for doing exactly this.

thanks,

sh