Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2006 15:01:37 -0500
From:      Eric <heli@mikestammer.com>
To:        James Smallacombe <james@pil.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Copying binaries to new server

James Smallacombe wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Jerry McAllister wrote:
>> True, but I think the poster was suggesting that dump/restore is
>> a better way than using tar.
>
> I'm not as familiar with BSD dump...does it compress well?  Also, what's this?
>
> su-2.05b# dump -0L -f ns1.usr.dump /usr
>   DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Tue Oct 24 15:52:01 2006
>   DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
>   DUMP: Dumping snapshot of /dev/da0s1d (/usr) to ns1.usr.dump
>   DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
>   DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
>   DUMP: estimated 3077070 tape blocks on 79.03 tape(s).
>   DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
>   DUMP: Closing ns1.usr.dump
>   DUMP: Change Volumes: Mount volume #2
>   DUMP: Is the new volume mounted and ready to go?: ("yes" or "no") yes
>   DUMP: Volume 2 begins with blocks from inode 149561
>   DUMP: Closing ns1.usr.dump
>   DUMP: Change Volumes: Mount volume #3
>   DUMP: Is the new volume mounted and ready to go?: ("yes" or "no")
>
> What volume?  The one I'm dumping?  If so, why does it keep asking whether
> it's mounted?  What are all these different volume numbers?  I just want to
> dump /usr to one file, compressing and preserving permissions and symlinks as
> much as possible, so I can restore it to a new server.

i have never seen the volume messages when i backup.

this is how i do it:

Take a dump
dump -0uanLf - /var | bzip2 | dd of=/some/path/dump-var-level0.bz2
dump -0uanLf - / | bzip2 | dd of=/some/path/dump-root-level0.bz2
dump -0uanLf - /usr | bzip2 | dd of=/some/path/dump-usr-level0.bz2

Restore a dump
To Restore Interactively

     * First bunzip, make sure you have disk space.
     * restore -i -f filename.dump0
     * or bzcat filename.dump0.bz2 | restore -i -f - without bunziping
first. By the way bzcat filename.dump0.bz2 | ssh computer.bei$
     * Navigage using cd, ls, etc. Use the verbose command to make
things more verbose.
     * use add to add to list of stuff to extract. Will extract in CWD.
     * use delete to remove from list of stuff to extract.
     * When ready use the extract command to restore.

Should look something like the following:

   restore > extract
   Extract requested files
   You have not read any tapes yet.
   If you are extracting just a few files, start with the last volume
   and work towards the first; restore can quickly skip tapes that
   have no further files to extract. Otherwise, begin with volume 1.
   Specify next volume #: 1
   Mount tape volume 1
   Enter ``none'' if there are no more tapes
   otherwise enter tape name (default: filename.dump0)
   extract file ./foobar/public_html/somefile.html
   Add links
   Set directory mode, owner, and times.
   set owner/mode for '.'? [yn] n
   restore > quit

To Restore Entire Disk

     * Plug in fresh drive
     * /stand/sysinstall
     * fdisk, add bootloader, disklabel
     * Mount new drive somewhere, i.e. /mnt-root
     * Mount backups
     * cd /mnt-root; bzcat /backups/server/dump-root-level0.bz2 |
restore -f -