Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 18:26:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Stephan Brocoum <pbrocoum@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Sat, 6 Sep 1997, Stephan Brocoum wrote:

> I was wondering if FreeBSD was actually a UNIX OS or just a UNIX-compatible
> OS.  Also, I don't know much about OSs but I was wondering what the
> difference between UNIX and Linux is.  Thanks.

That depends on your definition of "UNIX" and "UNIX-compatible". :)
FreeBSD is based on the Berkeley BSD distribution and not System V.

FreeBSD vs. Linux?  That is somewhat subjective, but the main difference
in my eye is the distribution system -- FreeBSD has one, Linux has 20
(+/-)  distinct distributions and therefore requires 20 support networks.
FreeBSD has one distribution, one support network, and we know what system
you're on when you say you're on version 2.2.2-RELEASE.

Sorry if this was answered before -- I've been off the list for a bit.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo