Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 23:59:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael Richards" <michael@fastmail.ca>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Version Hiding

--------------Boundary-00=_S7BUK4FR9K5OO49D7TH0

I remember once someone working at a university I once attended spent
weeks obscuring a linux box he was running so it would look like a
Solaris machine. He spent so long doing this that he neglected to fix
a very basic security flaw and was hacked.

I also remember a machine I was running where an obscured version
wasn't fixed for a few weeks of scanning and exploiting. So sometimes
it is effective and sometimes it is not.

I know for a fact that some of the best hackers in the world do
months and months of analysis of a system before even attempting
anything because they like to get in on the first try and clean
everything up. Using the wrong offset on stack popper code for a
buffer overrun can tip off the admin.

So what am I saying? This is a religeous battle that may or may not
make your machine more resistant to attack. Why not make a switch
that allows an admin to obscure versions if they like and display
them proudly if they don't. Probably something more suited to a ports
discussion.

-Michael