Date:      Sat, 9 Feb 2002 20:25:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Holt Grendal <holtor@yahoo.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Frequent Restarts

Hi everyone,

Ever since upgrading to FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE several
servers have been randomly restarting themselves.
The only relevent messages left in messages or console
logs was:

Feb  9 20:25:09 phoenix /kernel: WARNING: / was not
properly dismounted

I've had a few people tell me they had this problem
too. They told me the problem dissapeared after their
computers restarted 2 - 4 times randomly.

Its certaintly not a hardware issue.. all said servers
ran for months and months with FreeBSD 4.4, 4.3, and
previous versions without a single issue.

A hunch tells me that it has something to do with the
filesystem changes included with 4.5 and softupdates.

Is there anyway to get more information about this
remotely? Has anyone experienced this?

TIA

Holt