Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 09:58:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   File creation using non-member group!

Hmm...

Just noticed that on one of my accounts the real gid of the user is not
being used in file creation (non-setgid/sticky directory, of course!)  Id
shows something like this:

uid=1000(staffer) gid=20(staff) groups=20(staff), 2000(other), 2015
... approximately 10 groups.  Certainly not pressing the limit.

etc... thing to note here is gid=1000(privil) is NOT in that list of
groups, and that the output matches what I have set in /etc/master.passwd
and /etc/group.

In a non-anything directory:

$ > test.file && ls -l test.file
-rw-rw-r--  1 staffer  privil 0 Apr 25 09:41 test.file

``privil'' is gid=1000, which staffer is definitely not a member of!
Just for kicks:

$ chgrp staff test.file
-rw-rw-r--  1 staffer  staff  0 Apr 25 09:41 test.file

So, the ``staff'' group does exist and function..  It's just not being
used for file creation!

For some real fun:

$ chgrp privil test.file
chgrp: you are not a member of group privil

Hmmm indeed!  It looked like I was a minute ago :-)  Is there some reason
that FreeBSD appears to be using gid=uid in this case for the file create,
even though the user's real gid has been set to a different number?  I
would go source-hunting, and try different test cases, but someone here
probably has a quick answer anyway.  If it 'is' a bug and not some really
obfuscated feature, I'll submit a patch.

This behaviour persists at least as far back as 3.4-STABLE, through to
yesterday's 4.0-STABLE.

Thanks,
- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2