Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 08:04:50 +0100 (CET)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        John Baxter <jlb@xsequor.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: New to Linux... just found FreeBSD

On 19-Mar-01 John Baxter wrote:
> I am fairly new to Linux, about 6 months or so.  I have seen references
> to FreeBSD but I had not really taken time to look into it.  Can I use
> Linux code and recompile it on FreeBSD and it work?

In general I think you can, but with the excellent Linuxulator on FreeBSD most
if not all Linuxbinaries run on FreeBSD with no change.

> Is the code base as large as Linux?

I'd say it is enormous in either OS. Yes, most of what Linux has, can be
compiled for FreeBSD. There are fewer commercial products specific to FreeBSD
though. But that is changing, FreeBSD is really starting to get attention and
with the Linux emulation capability it is not that important anyway.

> Sorry to keep refering to Linux, it
> is how I got started with "Open Source" and I know very little other
> than it. Is there a FreeBSD vs. Linux document on the internet, or

BSD vs Linux opinions. Basically, as this is a FreeBSD list, they result is that
linux sucks and BSD rulez. (No, I am not going to argue about it!)

> something to help me learn by compairing what I know about Linux to the
> unknown of FreeBSD?  Something to point out the strengths and weaknesses
> of each.

A superior memory management, a commitment to stability and professional use,
and better TCP/IP stack are commonly claimed. For the average user there will be
not much difference - apart from the startup rc.d:s and the location on the disk
of things.

Why not try it out yourself?