Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 17:39:54 -0700
From:      David Harnick-Shapiro <davidhs@intelenet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   X configuration, Rage IIc video card, mystery monitor -- added info

Uh, and my first message really should have included

    davidhs_dot% X -version
    XFree86 Version 3.3.5 / X Window System
    Release Date: August 23 1999
    Operating System: FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE i386 [ELF]
    Configured drivers:
      Mach64: accelerated server for ATI Mach64 graphics adaptors (Patchlevel 0)

    davidhs_dot% uname -a
    FreeBSD dot.dhs.intelenet.net 3.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE #0: Fri May 12 01:50:54 PDT 2000     root@dot.dhs.intelenet.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/DOT  i386

(That "DOT" kernel is just GENERIC with

> device pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0

added, and a few devices (wt0, mcd0, matcd0, scd0) commented out.

/david

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000 17:09, David Harnick-Shapiro writes:

> [...]
> 			 (with 6-bit wide lookup tables (or in 6-bit mode))
> 			 (programmable for 6/8-bit wide lookup tables)
> 		Attached graphics coprocessor:
> 			Chipset: ATI Mach64
> 			Memory:  4096 Kbytes
>
> The monitor, of course, has no manual, because it's a hand-me-down.
> Front says "Gateway2000" and "Vivitron";  on the back, "Model CPD-GF250T"
> and the fact that it was manufactured in 1997 in Tijuana :-)  (In the
> past, when using other equally-undocumented monitors, I've been able to
> figure out the OEM, and get the specs from them, but no go on this one.)
>
> Suggestions?
>
> P.S.  For completeness' sake, I'm including a recently-generated
> XF86Config, but it's so bad that I would not encourage anyone to try
> to debug -- just tell me what to tell XF86Setup or xf86config  :-}
>
> David H-S
>

> # XF86Config auto-generated by XF86Setup
> #
> # Copyright (c) 1996 by The XFree86 Project, Inc.
>
> #
> # Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
> # copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
> # to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
> # the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
> # and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
> # Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
> #
> # The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
> # all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
> #
> # THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
> # IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
> # FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.  IN NO EVENT SHALL
> # THE XFREE86 PROJECT BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY,
> # WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF
> # OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
> # SOFTWARE.
> #
> # Except as contained in this notice, the name of the XFree86 Project shall
> # not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or other
> # dealings in this Software without prior written authorization from the
> # XFree86 Project.
> #
>
> # See 'man XF86Config' for info on the format of this file
>
> Section "Files"
>    RgbPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
>    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"

   ModelName       "Unknown"
>    HorizSync       31.5-57.0
>    VertRefresh     50-90
>    Modeline  "1024x768"   75.00 1024 1048 1184 1328 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync
> [...]
   BlankTime       0
>    SuspendTime     0
>    OffTime         0
>    SubSection "Display"