Date:      Fri, 08 Nov 96 14:11:00 PST
From:      Robert Clark <ROBERTC@PII.COM>
To:        "'freebsd-questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: speech for the blind and freebsd.

Would such a "package" be of more utility if it was "X" based?

                    [RC]
 ----------
From: owner-freebsd-questions
To: dgy
Cc: freebsd-questions
Date: Friday, November 08, 1996 2:22PM

> Well, I suspect you *could* use pty's -- but it would require a
> much more sophisticated *user* interface.  You need to be able to
> walk from word to word, line to line, spell, etc.
>
> It's not a trivial problem...

Huh? That's exactly why you *don't* want it in the kernel!  Such
complexities belong in userland.  You build a program that's like
"screen", except that its purpose isn't (necessarily) to manage
multiple screens but is rather to manage a single screen, while
providing audible feedback, and give the user the ability to
manipulate the screen as necessary.....

(BTW, I'm legally blind, though the only "special equipment" I
need is a chair with enough back support that when I shove my
face near the screen the stresses on my back are minimized. :-)