Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:30:47 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad A31p

> I'm trying to get FreeBSD 5.0 working on my A31p - and I have (at least)
> two problems. Firstly, ACPI doesn't work properly (I get lots of errors
> at startup, and after hibernation, screen corruption and the USB
> bleats). Secondly, cardbus fails to initialise, even with ACPI disabled.

     I have an A31 (I'm not sure what the differences are between an A31
and an A31p), and, as you've discovered, ACPI is broken.  In the case of
the A31, ACPI is supposedly acknowledged by IBM to be broken, and is
supposed to be fixed in the next BIOS.  Unfortunately, IBM supposedly
releases a new BIOS only "once a quarter", and a BIOS was just released
(for the A31 -- don't know about the A31p).  Unless you know a lot about
ACPI and are willing to fix it yourself, your only real choice is use
APM instead of ACPI (note: if you do this, don't forget to comment out
the line in /boot/device.hints that explicitly disables APM, in addition
to disabling ACPI).

     However, APM seems to be a tad flaky, too.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com