Date:      23 Mar 1999 15:07:50 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        Peter Schwenk <schwenk@math.udel.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XDM kookiness

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999 10:47:11 -0500, Peter Schwenk <schwenk@math.udel.edu> said:

Peter> Hello: I've got xdm running on my FreeBSD 3.1-R system (and it
Peter> was running on 2.2.8-R before that).  It is started with a
Peter> xdm.sh script in the /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d directory (is there
Peter> any other way to start it?).  Quite frequently, after I boot up
Peter> the system and I get to the login window, the keyboard input
Peter> isn't echoed in the login window.  The keyboard input is
Peter> accepted, as I found out by telnetting in from another system
Peter> and seeing myself logged in, plus Ctrl-Alt-Delete works.

Same here on 3.1-S and XF86-3.3.3 (latest of this writing). It acts
like it's not listening to the keyboard (various from decent Keytronic
to new cheapies) but a remote "ps" shows something like "login:
myusername".

If I do *not* start xdm at boot (in /usr/X11$6/etc/rc.d) but wait for
the text screen, login as root, then start XDM, it works fine. This
has bugged me for a while.

I think I encountered this problem on some 2.2.8-STABLE systems too,
probably with XFree86 of a couple revs ago.

I noticed folks talking about starting in /etc/ttys, but it really
*should* work as a boot script. Any ideas?