Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 1996 17:07:11 +1100
From:      Mark van Loon <mvanloon@vision.net.au>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Dialin Access FreeBSD 2.1.5

Help!

I have setup a FreeBSD 2.1.5 box which has a modem for dialin access.

The modem is a Vfast Class 28.8

The com ports only have 8250 uarts.

I am using stty to set crtscts on the com ports.

In /etc/ttys I have set the getty to std.38400 for each com port. (No =
changes have been made to /etc/gettytab) I have followed the section in =
the handbook on setting up dialin access and am still having problems.

My problem is this: I cannot connect unless I set the getty speed to =
std.9600 in /etc/ttys, and force the modem to connect at 9600. This will =
give me a login prompt. Any other speed (28.8, 14.4) yields garbage.

I suspect that the problem is occurring because the speed between the =
computer and modem is different from the speed that the modems =
negotiate.

Can you shed any light on this problem? Changing the entry in /etc/ttys =
to std.19200 and connecting at 14.4 hasn't helped either. I would really =
like to take advantage of the faster speeds instead of being limited to =
9600baud.

Thanking you in anticipation.
Mark van Loon.

Mark van Loon