Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 10:00:15 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Jim Sander <jim@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_fxp driver info (which card then?)

On Friday, 26 January 2001 at  9:47:38 -0500, Jim Sander wrote:
>>> Linux people avoid the EtherExpress because they think something is
>>> wrong with the card.
>
>> Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B cards in FreeBSD
>
>    These cards work well in our many 3.x and 4.x systems.
>
>    But I just built up a Redhat 6.2 box with one, and all seemed to be
> working fine, but after a while I started having various problems starting
> net services. The box would boot, but often would "hang" indefinitely when
> "Starting eth0" - requiring a hard reboot. I swapped to another EE-Pro
> NIC, new MB, different RAM, other cables, everything, but no change.

Yes, these are exactly the problems I've heard of.

>    After I switched to a linksys NIC, voila- everything worked
> without a problem. (so far) Of course the Intel NICs still work
> perfectly when put into a spare BSD system. So it's *not* that the
> cards themselves are unreliable. Perhaps the drivers controlling
> them? Perhaps a weird MB/NIC conflict of some sort?

As I mentioned earlier, it's the drivers (two different ones)
themselves.  Linux people have different opinions about which is
worse, but they do agree that both are pretty bad.  That's why I've
been saying that we shouldn't be looking at porting them.

Greg