Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 00:42:18 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org>
Subject:   Spam problem on the list (Was: Re: URGENT)

> Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:50:55 +0200
> From: Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org>
>
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 09:12:25AM -0400, Stephen Hovey typed:

> > > I don't think so.  Then again, spam has gotten a lot worse everywhere
> > > over the last year or so.
> > >
> > > Then again, if questions@freebsd.org was like 95% of the email lists
> > > out there and didn't allow anyone in the whole wide world to post
> > > without being a listmember, I *guarantee* it would not be as bad as
> > > it is now.
> > >

> > I think this was talked about in the past and the reasoning had something
> > to do with a problem of legit users not gettin it on their from addresses
> > in that arrangement (in other words signing up one way, but emailing from
> > another)...  Personally, I think if you cant figure out that piece, you
> > should be a windows user..
> >

> From /etc/motd (what every newbee will read after the first successfull
> installation):
>
> If you still have a question or problem, please take the output of
> `uname -a', along with any relevant error messages, and email it
> as a question to the questions@FreeBSD.org mailing list.
>
> I consider this an excellent service provided by FreeBSD.

It may be an "excellent service" to some minority of FreeBSD users,
but we all thought having open SMTP relays was an "excellent service"
too, back in the innocent years before the explosion of spam.

Already at least one new user that I saw gave up after one day of
being on this list because of all the junk on it, and I also know
that some users in certain parts of the world consider it to be a
major problem to receive large parcels of junk - in many cases this
costs them real money due to usage costs.

I am on at least 8 other mailing lists that allow user posting and
FreeBSD-Questions is the ONLY one that I see this problem on!
(including the other FreeBSD lists I subscribe to)

Either there should be some virus-scanning mechanism deployed
(something several of the lists I'm on do), something should be done
about moderation (ie assign several people the ability to temporarily
block traffic from certain senders) or the idea of allowing posting
from anywhere should be reconsidered.

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium