Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 23:34:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Todd Backman <todd@flyingcroc.net>
To:        Dan Debertin <airboss@bitstream.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Routing firewall w/ipfw questions

On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, Dan Debertin wrote:

> First, as this is not exactly security-related, a better forum for this is
> -net (or -questions, but that list tends to have more questions than
> answers ;).

My bad. Moving to -net...thanks for the tap.

> Now, on to your question:
>

> > Question:
> > Is my reasoning flawed in regards to the routing portion of this setup?
>
> Your subnetting plan looks fine to me. One thing that strikes me, though,
> is that you need to have a router on the external side who knows that your
> FreeBSD box is the next-hop router for the post-firewall /24. Is there
> such a router in your setup? For example, let's say that your firewall's
> external interface is 1.1.1.6/29, and the internal is 1.1.2.1/24. There
> should be a router with an interface on the 1.1.1.0/29 subnet that "knows"
> that 1.1.2.0/24 is reached via 1.1.1.6. In cisco syntax this would be
>
> ip route 1.1.1.0 255.255.255.0 1.1.1.6
>
> or via the UNIX "route" command:
> route add -net 1.1.2.0 -netmask 255.255.255.0 1.1.1.6

Yes, that was done and verified.

> Also, make sure you have a default gateway on your firewall pointing to
> that external router. I am also assuming you've done the basic lower-layer
> checks for link lights, cable integrity, etc.

Yes.

> > Thanks for any help you might provide. Upon successful completion of this
> > project I will document all *correct* procedures and post as I have not
> > found any documentation on setting ipfw up for protecting an internal /24
> > with a different subnet on the outside interface.
>
> We've been doing this successfully for quite some time, so I assure you
> it's fairly standard ;).

;^) I could not find any documentation regarding this type of setup other
than the "simple" section of rc.firewall. I will ditch my rules tomorrow,
leave everything open then try the routing again. The main thing that I
wanted to find out was: is the routing plan correct? (just had to rule it
out as I am not the route man I would like to be...if they would only
issue me another 24hrs in a day I would be fine ;^)

It had me baffled as when working with the guy on the inside net during
testing; he could gain access to and from the outside (due to his first
established connection) but no access from the outside could be
established even after adding as the last rulesets:

allow ip from any to any

Something to be said about "starting over" ;^)

Thanks for your help Dan.

- Todd