Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2006 17:07:12 +0200
From:      Harald Weis <hawei@nerim.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Canon PIXMA support

On Sat, Jul 22, 2006 at 11:42:14AM +0200, Harald Weis wrote:

> For your information:
> apsfilter has just nicely installed my PIXMA iP 5000 (device node /dev/ulpt0).

In fact, the installation seemed successful because the test print
looked basically alright. It just did not fill the A4 format.
There are indeed two problems.
First, the conversion from jpeg to ps generates (vertical) rectangles
from squares. This looks like a bug in apsfilter.
Secondly, the colors, or rather the resolution, and the size are
incorrect. The reason for this seems to be the lack of the correct
driver in gs.
gimp-print WITH_CUPS (which I have used earlier this year on a smaller
FreeBSD4.9 machine) gave good results as far as I remember. I did not
compare them with the iBook though. Next step after the beach...
Bye
Harald Weis
--
FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE #0: Sun May  7 04:42:56 UTC 2006