Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 1996 09:46:10 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        dennis@etinc.com, nate@sri.MT.net, hackers@FreeBSD.org, nate@rocky.sri.MT.net
Subject:   Re: pppd vs ijppp

On Thu, 11 Jan 1996, Bruce Evans wrote:

> >> And lastly, I think if you took a show of hands on providers and users
> >> after asking them if they would mind using even 50k to get better
> >> performance i think that I'd be surprised to see even 1 hand not
> >> waving wildly in the air.
>
> >Give them the whole picture.
>
> >'You can have this really cool package which integrates everything you
> >want and is *really* easy to setup.  However, it uses about 5% (*) of your
> >CPU.  OR, you could have this other version which uses about 1% of your
> >CPU, but it's alot harder to setup and doesn't have as many features.'
>
> >Or, we could all of those features in the kernel, increase your memory
> >use by a couple 100K (always, even if you don't use it), and it would
> >take us 6 months to get it working. :)'
>
> (*) Fine print.  Per connection.  Perhaps less than 5%.

This whole argument is pointless.  The problems with userland ppp are due
to it being packed full of bugs.  If it was in the kernel, it would panic
every 24 hours and *no-one* could possibly use it.  As it stands, it just
core dumps once in a while.

As it happens, the core-dumping is sufficiently irritating to me
personally that I am fixing it.  I use ppp demand dial and it annoys me
to have to restart it every morning.  You really don't want this
particular program in the kernel.  I keep wanting to throw it away and
rewrite it from scratch...

--
Doug Rabson, Microsoft RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
						Phone: +44 171 251 4411