Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 1996 19:27:22 +0100 (GMT+0100)
From:      "Alain FAUCONNET" <af@biomath.jussieu.fr>
To:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu (Charles Henrich)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fast SCSI controller

> > Horrid in what way?
>
> Horrid as in whenever my system is underload and I start to do alot of NFS
> traffic out to somewhere it goes click click whirrr ... NOTHING
>
> Takes a hard reset to bring it back.
>
> -Crh
>
>        Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu

Weird... it sounds precisely like what made me switch  my  desktop  PC
from Linux to FreeBSD... while running Linux, a compilation of gcc  on
a  remote  filesystem  was  bringing  an otherwise idle SS10/40 on its
knees, with its disk making a noise like a coffee grinding  machine  !

Are you sure you're not using some strange NFS  r/w  block  size ?  or
some especially poor net adapter ?

I  have  nothing  but  praises for FreeBSD's NFS code (both server and
client) and network layers, even on my not-too-fast 3C509 !

Have a good day,
_Alain_

--
Alain FAUCONNET    Ingenieur systeme - System Manager     AP-HP/SIM
Public Health                91 bld de l'Hopital 75013 PARIS FRANCE