Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 11:11:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ben Pepa <maillist@msn.bc.ca>
To:        Michael Henry <mhenry@white.ug.cs.usyd.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MAJOR PROBS!

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Michael Henry wrote:

> > > I have checked and bash exists and all the permissions in it's path
> > > are correct, and I never used .login_conf anyway, so I'm all out
> > > of ideas.
> > >
> > > Would anyone like to have a guess?

Is the parent directory's permissions correct, and not neccessarily the
.login_conf file?

> > I just had this happen.  For me, it turned out the permissions on the home
> > directories were wrong and everything was owned by root.  Check to make
> > sure.
>
> The permissions are all correct.
>
> Did this happen after cvsup for you? I'd like to know what caused it so I
> can avoid this in future.

Actually, this happend after a restore from a dump.  The dump must have
been unsuccessfull as restore complained a plenty during the restore.

> > The permissions for bash were okay for me.  Turned out that the
> > permissions on /usr/libexec were also owned by root.  When I chown'ed it
> > back to bin:bin, all was well.  Bash seems to need ld.so (like many things
> > do) and only logging in as root on the console would work till it was
> > fixed.
>
> The permissions are correct, but when I try to use "man" AS ROOT I get:
>
> 	Couldn't open /usr/libexec/ld.so.

exact same thing.  Just to make sure, do a `chown bin:bin /usr/libexec`
and a `chmod 755 /usr/libexec`.  Then try man again.  If that works, try
adduser to create a test account and try to login in with the new account.

If the new account works, then it probably means other users permissions
are incorrect.

Talk to you soon,
Ben

BTW; When you login as a regular user, does it say "Could not find home
directory, using '/'"  or something like that?