Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 07:30:42 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@btinternet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Addition to /usr/share/mk/sys.mk, Comments?

In message <20010829124109.F3EC66A9@host213-123-150-27.in-addr.btopenwor
ld.com>
, Dominic Marks writes:
> Hi,
>
> I've often found a need to have a user specific make.conf in which I
> can store various variables. A patch to /usr/share/mk/sys.mk makes
> ~/make.conf be evaluated last which I find very useful especially
> when installing ports under users home directories, the patch is a
> tiny three liner, if tested it on my home system.
>
> Because its evaluted last it can override the others, which I imagine
> could be a security hole or perhaps undesireable for root? In which
> case it should be evaluted second and leave /etc/make.conf for last.
>
> Any opinions? Perhaps this mailing list is not the ideal forum for
> this discussion, however I couldn't think of a list that would be
> better. If you can reccomend one ...

If it's needed, it should become a dot file, e.g. ~/.make.conf.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD
Ministry of Management Services
Province of BC