Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 1995 21:35:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@agate.cs.virginia.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for Python programmer for some advice...

On Thu, 9 Nov 1995, Michael Smith wrote:

> I'm tinkering with some python code of a foreign origin, with a view
> to seeing if it can be coaxed to run under FreeBSD.
>
> Being a total newcomer to Python, I was wondering if I could ask a few
> mildly losing questions of someone who has it up and doing useful things
> under FreeBSD.
>
> (I notice that many of the Python Tk demos segfault.  This is Not Good.
>  Ooh, Jordan is the maintainer.  Maybe I won't pester about this until
>  later 8)

	I believe the package in 2.1 is for python 1.2. You should
consider installing 1.3, which came out a month or so ago.  It should
compile pretty easily.  I sent off patches a long time ago to make this
happen.  Unfortunately, you need to add libcrypt to the link command
manually or such.  I forgot about this when I sent my diff. :-(

	The demos all work with the exception of a few which haven't been
updated in ages and use obsolete language features.  BTW, you should
install Tk4.0.  I used the port and symlinked the libtk40.a to libtk.a, etc.

	Do you have any specific python questions?  They are pretty big
on python here at UVa, and I have done thousands of lines of Tk/Python
programming, so I know more than most about this language.

cheers,
	Adrian

adrian@virginia.edu                ---->>>>| Support your local programmer,
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~atf3r/   --->>>| STOP Software Patent Abuses NOW!
Member: The League for                 -->>| For an application and information
       Programming Freedom               ->| see: http://www.lpf.org/