Date:      Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:14:18 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jimmy_B=E4ckstr=F6m?= <jimmy.backstrom@crystone.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FAILURE - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE status=41

Jimmy B=E4ckstr=F6m wrote:

> Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
>
>> Jimmy B=E4ckstr=F6m wrote:
>>
>>> Hi list!
>>> I've googled and searched the mailing list archives for this but=20
>>> couldn't find anything useful.
>>> I just installed freebsd 5.4 on a dell PE 2850 with RAID5 (PERC).=20
>>> The installation goes fine and as far as I can tell it runs ok,=20
>>> haven't really done anything with yet though so I can be wrong, but=20
>>> when booting I get two messages that concerns me:
>>>
>>> ata2-master: FAILURE - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE=20
>>> status=3D41<READY,ERROR> error=3D4<ABORTED>
>>> ata2-slave: FAILURE - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE=20
>>> status=3D41<READY,ERROR> error=3D4<ABORTED>
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> Interrupt storm detected on "irq18: uhci2"; throttling interrupt sour=
ce

>>> When it comes to the ata2-master/slave errors I understand that they =

>>> happen for quite a few people running later versions of freebsd? I=20
>>> haven't found anything on the net that points directly at my=20
>>> hardware specifics, it seems to happen to a lot of different drives. =

>>> I'm using 4 seagate harddrives by the way.
>>>
>>> If this problem has been adressed on the list before, I apologise, I =

>>> couldn't find anything about it. I appreciate any pointers and if=20
>>> someone wants me to post dmesg just ask.
>>>
>> Set up two of these servers recently.
>>
>> We totally ignored the interrupt storm.  We couldn't make it go away=20
>> but it seemed to do no harm.
>>
>> The ata errors are froeither related to the DRAC virtual devices, or=20
>> the real CD, if you have one.  They seem to confuse atapicam.  If you =

>> take atapicam out of the kernel the messages will go away.  Your hard =

>> drives are SCSI and have nothing to do with ata.
>>
> Doh!
> Didn't even think about the drives being SCSI. My bad. :)
> About atapicam, I can't find it in the kernel config, what line should =

> I be looking for?

My bad.  That's what I tried to get rid of the error and it turns out,=20
on closer inspection, that it didn't work :-(  Should have checked my=20
facts more closely!

However, I am convinced that the error is not important.  It is=20
certainly not related to your disks (which is what you really care=20
about, right?).

My supposition is that it is either to do with the DRAC (do you have=20
one?) or to the chipset used to drive the ATAPI devices.  If I look at=20
the boot log:

acd0: CDRW <HL-DT-STCD-RW/DVD-ROM GCC-4244N/B101> at ata0-master PIO4
ata2-master: FAILURE - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE=20
status=3D41<READY,ERROR> error=3D4<ABORTED>
ata2-slave: FAILURE - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE=20
status=3D41<READY,ERROR> error=3D4<ABORTED>
acd1: CDROM <VIRTUALCDROM DRIVE/> at ata2-slave BIOSPIO

acd1 is the "virtual cd" provided by the DRAC and is ata2-slave.  My=20
best guess is that the virtual floppy, also provided by the DRAC, is=20
ata2-master.  Since these devices are virtual, I guess that is causing=20
the ata code to barf somehow.  However, at least the virtual CD works=20
just fine, and I installed FreeBSD on one of the machines, from a CD=20
that was actually loaded into a Windows host on the same network, and as =

far as the install process was concerned the CD was local to the Dell. =20
It was slow, but it was so neat.  The machine could, in theory, have=20
been half a globe away and I wouldn't have needed anyone to load a CD=20
for me!

You could try taking out atapifd and see if that makes the error go=20
away.  But that might stop the virtual floppy from working.  (The real=20
floppy should still work as it's not an atapi device).

Summary

Despite the errors, all the important devices work just fine (keyboards, =

disks, CD, virtual CD, DRAC).  I only see the interrupt storm at boot=20
time, and although I don't like it, I'm prepared to ignore it as long as =

everything keeps working.

--Alex

PS If you have the PERC 4e controller, then you can get an interface to=20
it from FreeBSD.  See the sysutils/megarc port.