Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 96 17:35:00 EDT
From:      gtc@aloft.att.com (gary.corcoran)
To:        BRETT_GLASS@ccgate.infoworld.com, darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, tbalfe@falcon.tioga.com
Subject:   Re: Micropolis, again

>Oops.... You're right. It's Conner. But the wave of consolidations is
>depressing. Fewer choices, and fewer opportunities to pay a little more for
>a better product. (Apparently, computer OEMs don't care about quality --
>just price.)

Overall, true.  But some of you may be interested to know:
Quantum makes at least two 4G 3.5" drives.  The XP34301 and the
XP34300 (Atlas).  The 34301 I believe is a later model, and it is
about $30 cheaper than the 34300.  But I looked at the specs on
these drives.  The Atlas (34300) has an *order of magnitude* lower
bit error rate than the cheaper drive.  I decided to pay a little more
and get the Atlas.   But I'd bet that mass-market OEM's would use the
34301's (if they used a 4G drive)...

BTW, I chose this drive after previously buying a Micropolis MC3243
which died (stopped spinning) 6 weeks after buying it.  The replacement
MC3243 though has been running fine for about a year.  I had chosen
a Micropolis drive because my Micropolis 1924 (2G 5.25" FH) drive had run
flawlessly (though very very warm) for a couple of years (now over 3 years).

I guess buying disk drives is like buying cars - any model may have
a particular unit that is a lemon, but certain models end up having
more lemons than others...

Gary