Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 16:34:40 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New SoftUpdates test kit

> >Ugh.  How else is a driver supposed to attach extra information to a
> >buf or group of bufs?  The b_driver field was the only clean way I
> >could implement request fragmentation in the wfd driver.
>
> >From taking a 2 second look at the code, it seems that the problem is
> that you are attempting to store information in struct buf that should
> really be encapsulated in the atapi equivalent of "scsi_xfer" or as it
> is in CAM, the CCB.  This structure would have a buf pointer in it.

This means creating a new structure holding a buf reference and an
single integer counter, and then managing memory allocation for this
new structure type, and passing it around instead of the buf.

You're right, it almost certainly is the "correct" solution, but not
necessarily the simplest.  *sigh*