Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2001 22:50:03 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <irado@nettaxi.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: routed tutorial

you do not use routed for this.  routed is used when you
have MULTIPLE routers that are exchanging route tables
between each other, most commonly over a LAN.

To do real live "best path" routing like your describing,
you need your own routable AS number and block of subnets
and you need all providers to send you a full BGP table
over your links then you run Zebra or gated or
something like that.

Otherwise I don't think you have a good idea of what you
want to do.  Oh, I believe that you THINK you have a good
idea, but I am pretty sure that you don't. :-)

If you want to get something like this to work then you
need to sit down and diagram it out and completely understand
how the packet flows are to work and what routes are supposed
to be where.  If you cannot build a route table in your machine
that will work using static route statements, then you certainly
won't get it to work by introducing a routing daemon like routed.
All routed does is automatically track changes in tables, the
tables have to be legitimate to start with.