Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 19:37:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Greg Bedrossian <greg@gcsl.co.uk>
Cc:        Greg Bedrossian <greg@gcsl.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.2 Web Server problems.

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Greg Bedrossian wrote:

> > No problem -- go find the Apache package on the CD or FTP site, run
> > 'pkg_add apache-###.tgz', hack the config files, reboot or start httpd,
> > and you'll be up and running.
>
> Thank you! That much I have been able to do, apparaently. What I am
> having trouble with is actually setting up a site. You say "hack the
> config files". Can you elaborate a bit?

Sure.

> In the older versions it allowed
> you to set up the Web Server through the install script just as it
> prompts for NFS, FTP, etc. This procedure placed an index.html (welcome
> page) in /usr/local/www/data directory, you know, the devil with the
> pitchfork thing "Welcome etc, powered by FreeBSD!). How can I enter that
> configuration screen. Port 80 is up and running so it seems I have a
> server. Will it suffice to just put an HTML file in /usr/local/www/data?

I've always installed apache manually so I don't know which file you're
referring to :), but you're basically correct.  The default FreeBSD config
sets serverroot to /usr/local/www/data/, so put the top of your tree
there.

If you want to adjust some of the server's configurations, you can find
the usual config files (httpd.conf, access.conf, etc.) in
/usr/local/www/server/conf.

> Will it assume that it belongs to the default domain? So many things are
> different with 2.2.2.

I think so, but it's not a bad idea to set the ServerName.  That's in
/usr/local/www/server/conf/httpd.conf.

> Why cant I seem to link the "ports"? There seems
> to be no links from the ports in /usr/ports/www to the CD ROM. All
> directories are unlinked.

The ports tree is on the second CDROM.  It looks OK to me:

gdi,ttyp2,~ftp/cdrom1/ports,262>cd www
/usr/anon/cdrom1/ports/www
gdi,ttyp2,~ftp/cdrom1/ports/www,263>ls
CVS/                    libwww/                 p5-HTTPD-Tools/
Makefile                linemode/               p5-libwww/
Mosaic/                 lynx/                   pkg/
TRANS.TBL               mapedit/                slang-lynx/
analog/                 mmm/                    squid/
apache/                 netscape2/              squid11/
arena/                  netscape3/              squid11-novm/
ashe/                   netscape4/              w3/
cached/                 p5-Apache/              w3-msql/
cgiparse/               p5-CGI/                 w3c-httpd/
chimera/                p5-CGI.pm/              webcopy/
comline/                p5-CGI_Lite/            weblint/
gn/                     p5-HTML/                wn/
gwstat/                 p5-HTML-QuickCheck/     wwwcount/
harvest/                p5-HTML-Stream/         wwwstat/
gdi,ttyp2,~ftp/cdrom1/ports/www,264>

I know I am new to all this but it seems I am
> tempted to go back a version or two at this stage. I do like a lot of
> the improvements in 2.2.2 particularly the ability to use IDE devices
> readily.

Unfortunately, 2.2.2 missed the QA step, so there are some rough edges.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo