Date:      Sun, 09 Jun 2002 19:32:07 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Anton Berezin <tobez@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>, Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
Subject:   Re: perl wrapper and PATH

Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> At 12:48 PM +0200 6/9/02, Anton Berezin wrote:
> >On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 02:14:09PM -0400, Trish Lynch wrote:
> >
> >  > Anton, if you don;t get around to it this weekend, mind
> >  > if I take a stab at it?
> >
> >No, I don't mind at all.  If only we can agree who does what.  :-(
>
> RPI has been running with something like the perl wrapper on our
> systems for many years.  It can be very useful, if it's done
> right.  My fear is that everyone is hoping for some quick fix
> (something as quick as creating a symlink), and does not want
> to really think about what we want from this wrapper.

And yet, with the use.perl script installed as part of the port, we can
provide a solution that IS, "as quick as creating a symlink." tobez and
I were discussing it some last night, and we have an idea for just
automatically doing the right thing for -current systems that have no
perl installed.

I agree that for users who want perl, we should have a /usr/bin/perl
that "just works." I also agree that more thought needs to go into what
form that takes.

--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?