Date:      Tue, 6 May 2014 02:10:35 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
From:      John <aqqa11@earthlink.net>
To:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: where does uname get version number?

   On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 11:51 AM, John <[1]aqqa11@earthlink.net> wrote:

     Thanks for the clarification!  I don't compile kernel, I only
     installed 9.0-RELEASE and binary upgraded to 9.2-RELEASE using
     freebsd-update.  (I'm worried about the lifetime of the SSD in my
     laptop so am trying to avoid compiling, but that's a side topic.)

   I now totally deleted /usr/src (and /usr/obj), because I don't need
   them now as I now install virtualbox from pkg.
   But after rebooting, "uname -a" still shows 9.1-RELEASE.  As mentioned
   before, all files such as kernel etc are in 9.2, where does uname get
   that incorrect version now?

   I am  a bit confused how 9.0-RELEASE came into the picture.  Can you
   show the output of top -n?
   --
   Adam
   Sorry, just saw your reply.  And sorry 9.0-RELEASE was my typo, I mean