Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 1998 14:44:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hw platform Q - what's a good smp choice these days?

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998 sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:
> It's not surprising to me. It may be surprising to those who believe
> that SCSI is always faster.

You missed it again, this isn't a SCSI vs. IDE comparison at all.

Get a 9 gig and a 16 gig IDE and you'll find the 16 gig is faster.

SCSI will be faster when a higher degree of concurrency is needed.  While
the 16 gig drive may have an easier time on seeks due to it's higher data
density, the interface protocol (IDE) will not be sufficiently concurrent
to maintain it's speed over the 'slower' SCSI drive.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | 78 280Z | 75 164E | 84 245DL | FreeBSD/NetBSD/Sprite/VMS |
| winter@jurai.net |      This Space For Rent     | ix86,sparc,m68k,pmax,vax  |