Date:      Tue, 27 Dec 1994 02:56:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Pat_Barron@transarc.com
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Why am I getting these SLIP crashes?

OK, I have some more data about these SLIP related crashes that I've been
happening.  Here is what I've been doing to start SLIP sessions:

   1)  "cu -l /dev/cua01 -s 19200"
   2)  Dial up to Cisco terminal server, start SLIP; the terminal
       server gives me an IP address (chosen based on what line I've
       gotten in my hunt group).
   3)  Use "~^Z" to suspend cu.
   4)  "slattach -h -s 19200 /dev/cua01"
   5)  "ifconfig sl0 <my-ip-address>"
   6)  "route add default <my-default-router-address>"
   7)  "telnet <some-host>"

At this point, the machine spontaneously reboots.  No panic or anything,
just a reboot - as if the CPU has taken a double-fault or something else
that would shut it down.

This even happens if I do "telnet localhost" in step #7 (but this may be
because a DNS lookup is being attempted across the SLIP interface).

Now, I *can* get this to work; between step #5 and step #6, I have to
do "route add <my-network-number> <my-slip-address> 0"; I get a warning
message that says "old usage of trailing 0; assuming route to if", but
that was what I wanted anyway.  *Then* I can use the network, and th
machine does not crash.

What changed to make this happen?  I am using the -current version of 2.0,
which I am sup'ing from freefall.  I first noticed this behavior in a kernel
I sup'ped some time around the first or second week of December.

Thanks,
--Pat.