Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 1996 10:28:37 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        StevenR362@aol.com
Subject:   Re: HELP: Cyclades Drivers

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> We're not suffering from NIH, we're simply not willing to bend over
> backwards to accomodate prima-donna hacker types who run yelling the
> minute there looks to be the slightest resistance to their ideas.
>
> Everybody experiences a certain resistance to change in this project,
> and I think a certain amount of that resistance is even healthy.

Let me add this one: code without support isn't worth too much.  If
the original author refuses to maintain his code, we will certainly
always every time continue to use worse, but better maintained code.

Our resources aren't infinite.  Authors who are willing to actively
maintain their code are always welcome.  Otherwise, somebody of the
existing commiters must take responsibility for the code, and to the
best of my knowledge, all of them are already overloaded enough by
now.  (There's an even worse third scenario: the code becomes
orphaned, and remains in ugly shape while the system is evolving.  See
the msdosfs code, or the floppy tape driver.  We are not keen to get
more orphans.)

--
cheers, J"org