Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 1999 18:11:22 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2940U2W supported?

Matt Simerson wroye in list.freebsd-scsi:
 > On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Kenneth D. Merry wrote in list.freebsd-scsi:
 > >  > They're both supported and should both work fine.
 > >
 > > I'm afraid they do not work fine.  :-(
 > >
 > > Every once in a while, it _hangs_ forever when it displays
 > > "waiting for SCSI devices to settle" during boot (I'd guess
 > > it happens at every 10th reboot or something like that).
 > > This happens both with the Adaptec 2940-U2W and with the
 > > onboard Adaptec U2W of an ASUS P2B-LS, using 3.1-RELEASE.
 >
 > I can confirm this behavior.
 >
 > > It's extremely annoying, because you cannot reboot such a
 > > machine remotely and be sure that it comes up again.  :-(
 > > It renders the Adaptec controllers essentially unusable for
 > > production use.
 >
 > Why do you have to reboot production servers?

We were tracking -stable, too, so we had to reboot sometimes for
a new kernel.  (We stopped tracking at 3.1-Release, though).
But we still have to reboot sometimes, e.g. when we fiddled with
some kernel options or something like that.  It happens seldom,
but that doesn't matter.

This particular box is the server for a bunch of diskless icafe
terminals, which are used only during the day.  In the evening
and at night we can experiment and reboot without interrupting
any important service -- BUT it's important that the server
comes up again after a reboot without having to travel to the
room where it's physically located to press the reset button if
necessary.

 > > Is this bug known?  Maybe even fixed in -STABLE?
 > > Should I file a PR?  Anything else I could do?
 >
 > It's not fixed in -STABLE. I'm tracking -STABLE.

:-(

Thanks for the confirmation.

By the way, what kind of SCSI devices do you have?  Maybe the
problem only occurs with some devices.  We have:

Waiting 5 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
sa0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
sa0: <HP C1537A L708> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
sa0: 10.0MB/s transfers (10.0MHz, offset 32)
changing root device to da0s1a
da0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <IBM DDRS-34560D DC1B> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 80.0MB/s transfers (40.0MHz, offset 15, 16bit), Tagged Queueing Enabled
da0: 4357MB (8925000 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 555C)
da1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
da1: <IBM DDRS-34560D DC1B> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da1: 80.0MB/s transfers (40.0MHz, offset 15, 16bit), Tagged Queueing Enabled
da1: 4357MB (8925000 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 555C)
da2 at ahc0 bus 0 target 2 lun 0
da2: <IBM DDRS-34560D DC1B> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da2: 80.0MB/s transfers (40.0MHz, offset 15, 16bit), Tagged Queueing Enabled
da2: 4357MB (8925000 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 555C)
cd0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
cd0: <PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-40TS 1.00> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
cd0: 20.0MB/s transfers (20.0MHz, offset 15)
cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present

All of them work fine, once the machine has booted.
The DDS3 streamer and the CD-ROM drive are connected to the
narrow connector, the HDs are connected to the U2W/LVD one.
Cabling and termination is OK.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)