Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 15:13:35 -0500
From:      Peter Schwenk <schwenk@math.udel.edu>
To:        Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XDM kookiness

Chris:

Nope, no ideas, but ever since I've started it in the /etc/ttys file, it hasn't
exhibited the problem.

One thing, though.  It still doesn't update the utmp database because I don't show
up as logged in when I log in via xdm.  Does anyone know the fix for this, or is
it a feature?

Chris Shenton wrote:

> Same here on 3.1-S and XF86-3.3.3 (latest of this writing). It acts
> like it's not listening to the keyboard (various from decent Keytronic
> to new cheapies) but a remote "ps" shows something like "login:
> myusername".
>
> If I do *not* start xdm at boot (in /usr/X11$6/etc/rc.d) but wait for
> the text screen, login as root, then start XDM, it works fine. This
> has bugged me for a while.
>
> I think I encountered this problem on some 2.2.8-STABLE systems too,
> probably with XFree86 of a couple revs ago.

It did it for me also when I was using 2.2.8-R.

--
PETER SCHWENK                                    |  UNIX System Administrator
Department of Mathematical Sciences              |  University of Delaware