Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 16:44:39 -0500
From:      "Gerald T. Freymann" <freymann@eagle.ca>
To:        "Alexander V P" <alex@big-blue.net>
Cc:        "Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Hacker history file - OUCH - FIXED

|O|> let me ask a stupid question, i'm curious. you have same box since than
|O|> w/o rebuilding FreeBSD on the box  or it's just a history that
|O|> you cp to new install?

 There was somebody running BitchX or teardrop. They did not hide the
directory very well (it was in /tmp/something) and was actually telnetting
to the box as user amanda. Changed passwords, removed files, shut off some
stuff in inetd.conf, verified the integrity of system binaries, problem went
away.

-Gerry