Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 1999 08:10:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        jakob@ostenfeld.dk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum boot support

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999 jakob@ostenfeld.dk wrote:

> Hi BSD'ers !
>
> I'm in need of some help or suggestions regarding a setup
> with FreeBSD on a machine with two IDE disks.
>
> I want to run RAID-1 on those disks, and I'm pretty sure I
> can do that with Vinum. However, it's not clear to me whether
> I can make the system boot on the logical RAID-1 volume.
>
> Is it possible ?   How ?
>
> The Vinum docs say it's not recommended to have Vinum directly
> in the kernel (it should instead be a loadable module). Now, I
> would expect that this means that I cannot boot on a Vinum
> volume.  Why isn't it recommended ?

there isn't enough smarts in the loader to boot from a raid
filesystem, my recommeneded workaround is this:

.----------. .----------.
| root     | | backup / |
|----------| |----------|
|          | |          |
|         vinum         |
|          | |          |
|__________| |__________|

another option is using a boot floppy or another workaround
to fetch a kernel off of a non-vinum drive so it can boot.

maybe a floppy drive? or a spare partition on one of the disks...

(vinum would have to be statically compiled in)

> I have a final question with which I do not intend to start
> a flame war...  How can I expect FreeBSD disk I/O performance
> to compare to Linux disk I/O performance ?  Especially with
> regards to stat() and fsync() ?  (I will be running a mail-server
> with ./Maildir/ support)

FreeBSD's I/O subsystem is very good, there operations are more
likely to be limited by available memory (stat) and disk speed (fsync)
than the difference between FreeBSD/Linux.

FreeBSD does have softupdates available, it's a way to run your
disk system in "async" mode (directory operations are async)
in a relatively safe manner.

-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|bright@wintelcom.net]
systems administrator and programmer
    Wintelcom - http://www.wintelcom.net/