Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 2002 02:36:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   rp driver + multiple cards = bad

Hello,

After asking around, I got good feedback on the rocketport cards.  One
thing I did not ask was whether anyone that was happy with them was
running more than one.  Oops.

It seems the driver in -stable has some issues with more than one card in
the system  (search "rocketport multiple" in -questions, -stable and
-hackers for other unlucky folks).  Both cards are seen at boot:

 rp0: <rp> port 0xe400-0xe43f irq 10 at device 1 8.0 on pci0
 RocketPort0 = 8 ports
 rp0: driver is using old-style compatibility shims
 rp1: <rp> port 0xe800-0xe83f irq 11 at device 19.0 on pci0
 RocketPort1 = 8 ports
 WARNING: "rp" is usurping "rp"'s cdevsw[]
 rp1: driver is using old-style compatibility shims

Only rp0 is functional.  Swapped the cards with no change.  Whichever card
is rp0 is the one that works.  It appears (as other posters noted) that
traffic flows out, but not in.

I will file a PR on this shortly so that there's some document of this
behaviour.

I found that someone did a quick backport of the -current driver:

http://people.freebsd.org/~gallatin/rp.tgz
and
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=freebsd-hackers&m=101323616011879&w=2

Having a bit better luck here.  Built the kld and loaded it, both boards
are detected.  Had to borrow MAKEDEV from -current to remake the devices.

But on connecting, I get this unpleasant result on both cards:

-------
FreeiSD/i386 (synapse.b(gcheese.com) (ttyd0)

: gi
SD/i386 (synapse.b(gcheese.com) (ttyd0)

: gi
-------

So is anyone in charge of rp around?  It looks like the backported version
is closer to functionality than the existing driver.  Or if the old
driver is kept, there should probably be a note in the release notes
stating that one should not attempt to use more than one card/system.

Thanks,

Charles

--
Charles Sprickman