Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 00:52:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, Mark Salyzyn <salyzyn_mark@dpt.com>
Subject:   Alpha/PCI Help Request

Hi Y'll

As promissed, I am here again seeking free advise and cheap thrills (well,
free advise for sure :-).

I can now talk to the DPT card, but there are some problems:

*  The PCI code has changed quite a bit since I wrote the driver.  the
   existing PCI code was written by the CAM team, so I am not up to speed
   yet :-(

*  The PCI probe banner announces that the card is on int a, irq 0.  this
   does not look good to me.  I have no idea how to set the IRQ, other than
   what is done already in the driver (sys/pci/dpt_pci.c, and
   sys/dev/dpt/dpt_scsi.c)

*  The driver, in the initialization routine (dpt_init), around line 1370
   makes a call to bus_dma_tag_create().

*  I have not studied this function yet, but the arguments passed to it are:

   parent_dma_tag = 0xfffffe0001120a80
   alignment      = 0                     /* hard-coded in the call   */
   boundry        = 0                     /* Hard-coded               */
   lowaddr        = 0xffffffff            /* BUS_SPACE_MAXADDR        */
   highaddr       = 0xffffffff            /* BUS_SPACE_MAXADDR        */
   filter         = NULL                  /* hard-coded               */
   filterarg      = NULL                  /* Hard-coded               */
   maxsize        = 0x10000               /* MAXBSIZE                 */
   nsegments      = 1                     /* dpt->sgsize setup above  */
   maxsegsz       = 0x20                  /* BUS_SPACE_MAXSIZE_32BIT  */
   flags          = 2                     /* BUS_DMA_ALLOCNOW         */
   buffer_dma_tag = 0xfffffe0001126010    /* dpt->buffer_dmat         */

*  The system abort booting at this point, dropping back to the SRM which
   says:

      halted CPU 0

      halt code = 7
      machine check while in PAL mode
      PC = 18400
      boot failure

*  Obviously the driver works under IA (i386), or I could not type this
   message :-)

If this rings a bell, please let me know.  I will try, in the meantime to
isolate the exact line of code that blows up (1C resolution), and post some
more information.

Sincerely Yours,                 Shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG
                                             770.265.7340
Simon Shapiro

Unwritten code has no bugs and executes at twice the speed of mouth