Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 2002 00:17:38 -0500
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        Akthar Hussain <ahussain_fbsd@msn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ext3

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 09:31:23AM +0530, Akthar Hussain wrote:
> Anybady has idea about FreeBSD 4.5 will support (or mount) Linux ext3
> partition.
> if yes please let me know how to mount.?

Yes, it does.  It treats it as an ext2 partition.  (It doesn't,
however, mount Reiser, at least last time I checked.)

So, first you have to recompile your kernel.  Let's say you're just
using the GENERIC kernel  (I don't know how familiar you are with
this, so if this is stuff you already know, forgive me.  Also, of
course, if you've already compiled a custom kernel, substitute that
kernel's name for GENERIC)
cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
open GENERIC with your favorite text editor and add this line (you can
simply add it at the end
options    EXT2FS

Save it and now
config GENERIC

You'll see something like

source is ../../compile/GENERIC
Don't forget to do make depend

So,
cd ../../compile/GENERIC
make depend && make && make install

Reboot
Now, you can mount your Linux partition with
mount_ext2fs /dev/<linux partition>  (Whatever slice is holding your
Linux partition

HTH
Scott Robbins