Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 20:30:04 +0100
From:      "Marco van de Voort" <marcov@stack.nl>
To:        <stealth93@mediaone.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: 4.0 install on MMX machine

Note: I'm no longer subscribed (starting with yesterday). Please include me
in your CC. I'm subscribed to hackers tho.

> > When I attempted a clean install via CD of 4.0 Rel I am
> not
> > able to get past
> > the initial hardware config screen. As soon as it starts
> > scanning the hardware
> > it freezes after the line containing "pci0: <Matrox
> MGA...>
> > 18.0 irq 10"

I also have this. But it is not the videocard, but the floppy which is supposed to
be detected AFTER this line?
I also only get this when booting from disk, never from harddisk, and the second
try  (with a hard reset inbetween, with *exactly* the same parameters)
always succeeds.

So probably the first time the fd0 controller is reset some way that enables the
second time to function.

My machine is a Cyrix p150+, which is also non-mmx.

This machine also has the weird habit that if I don't push the floppy in the drive
BEFORE the bios detects the drive (after the memory test), it doesn't see it,
and  can't boot from it. Also the fd- light stays on in those cases.

Marco van de Voort (MarcoV@Stack.nl)
<http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/xtdlib.htm>;