Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 1996 05:15:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: I have authorization to buy a CD-R drive..  Which one? :-)

> Well, WC has kindly consented to buying another CD-R drive to replace
> the one that died before Julian and I ever really got started.
> Joerg's recent successes in this area also helped! :-)

Thanks WC.

> If I can get this working under FreeBSD, it will also substantially
> improve my ability to test the CD distributions - something I'm sure
> that everyone here would like to see more of.. :-)
>
> So, the only question is: Which model?  I'd like to buy one of the
> cheaper models, like the new HP, I just don't have any part numbers to
> pass on to our local hardware vendor.
>
> Any suggestions or personal preferences?

Given the price and wide availability of the HP surestore 4020i (a
big stack at CompUSA at $999.00), I think that is one to support.

The best way to proceed would be to let Joerg finish the preliminary
support for the "Plasmon" he has while tracking down the programmer
documentation for the Surestore.  Then you can buy it and immediately
make some headway with it.

--

Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936